GC Foster College claim University Rugby League Championship


March 21, 2010


GC Foster Lions staged a stunning comeback to claim a  26-20 victory over the University of Technology Knights in the JRL University Grand Final. The game was was played at GC Foster College,  St Catherine, under sunny conditions and before a healthy crowd.


Utech dominated the first 60 minutes of play having built up a 20-8 strangle hold over their opponents by half time. Exciting new discovery, Nathan Campbell, a basketball player who took up Rugby League only two weeks ago, took Utech to an early 10 point lead as he crashed over between the posts in the 10th and 18th minutes, Kemoy Whyte added the extras to one of them.


The Knights went further ahead when flying winger Manning Marsh, blew away the cover defence for his first try in the 23rd minute. His second came when GC Foster failed to gather the ball from a high kick and the alert winger recovered and scampered in, Whtye again converting.


GC Foster struggled to contain Utech’s play around the ruck area and did their cause no service with constant handling errors. However, they responded late in the half with a score from their own speed demon, Jason Mccauseland, and one to stand-half Marlando Anderson, who both exploited holes in the defensive line.


The Lions made several changes for the second half including unleashing their most aggressive defensive player, Omar Davis at loose forward. They paid dividends as Utech was unable to maintain possession of the ball. On at least four occasions Davis dislodged it with his trading mark flying tackles.


As Utech waned in confidence, GC took over midfield with good drives from their forwards.  On the hour mark, substitute full back Rashado Fowler blew open Utech with a brilliant burst of speed after receiving the ball from a scrum, having enough pace to hold off three chasing defenders to crash over in the right corner, Davis converting to make it 20-14.


Then, in an amazing final 15 minutes, GC fans erupted in rapture as the improbable comeback unfolded. After a strong defensive effort where they forced a turnover deep in their own half, the ball was spread wide to Sheldon Phillips who stepped around two defenders and scored between the posts. The extra points were once more added by Davis tying up the game.


Utech recovered the ball deep in the Lions’ half from kick off and thought they had scored when Campbell seemingly broke a tackle and crashed over by the sticks again. However, upon consulting with the touch judge , the referee ruled that the powerful centre had been held on the ground and should not have played on. 


With 5 minutes remaining, Lions had a scrum deep in their half and sent the ball wide. After a series of fortuitous passes, that had the Utech fans screaming “forward pass” Anderson ended up with the ball and blasted his way to the try line to seal the victory for the Lions.


JRL Development Officer Romeo Monteith expressed delight at a successful competition, “It’s been a fantastic four months of Rugby League for the Universities” he said. “We have seen over 60 new players pick the game up and they are anxious to get back on the park and filter into the community clubs”.


Match Details

Venue: GC Foster College, St Catherine.


GC Foster Lions 26

Tries: Malando Anderson (2), Rashasdo Fowler, Sheldon Phillips, Jason Mccauseland,  

Conversion: Omar Davis (3)

University of Technology 20

Manning Marsh (2), Nathan Campbell  (2)

Conversion: Kemoy Whyte (2)


Half Time:8-20


Jamaica University Championships


March 14, 2010


University Of Technology ends GC Foster's unbeaten streak in University Rugby League Championship


The University of Technology shrugged off the disappointment of last week’s defeat and roared into the Championship game when they defeated the GC Foster Lions 28-14 at home on Thursday. It was an efficient performance by the boys in blue who were once more cheered on by an appreciative crowd.


Utech held a narrow 16-10 lead at half time; they opened the scoring when after prop Khareem Jhagroo crashed in from close range. Scrum-half Roy Calvert then scored two quick tries, his second coming when he chased his own kick and controversially recovered after making contact with the last defender and diving over. Lamar Ellis replied first for GC Foster with a score in the left corner and Prop Shaneal Brown crashed over under the post to end the half.


In the second half, Calvert completed his hat-trick he opened the scoring after 5 minutes. Radchiv Smith responded for GC before full back Ryan Grant completed the Victory for the Pelicans.


The finals will be played Thursday, March 18, at GC Foster College; Kick-Off is scheduled for 4pm. 


Match Details

Thursday March 11, 2010, 4:00 pm

Venue: University of Technology

Half Time: UTECH 16 , GC Foster 10


UTECH Knights (28) 

Tries:  Roy Calvert (3), Ryan Grant

Conversion: Ryan Grant


GC Foster Lions

Tries: Lamar Ellis, Shaneal Brown, Radchiv Smith

Conversion Desmond Samuels



UWI 38 defeats UTECH 17 in thriller.


On Thursday, in front of approximately 300 vocal and excited home fans, the Utech Knights were unable to deliver on their promise of victory, when they fell to an improved UWI Pelicans outfit. UWI, smarting from their previuos defeat to the Pelicans, obviously did their homework and recruiting as their bench bursted with reserves. Crucially, they recrruited two experienced and outstanding halves in Hubert Thomas (scrum half) and Santino Lawrence (stand half).


Thomas was on the score sheet for UWI after only 5 minutes as the small player danced his way around Utech’s broken defense. The little magician scored two more times before the half ended and made all three conversions for a 18 points match haul. For Utech, full back Marvin Thompson, playing on a swollen ankle powered his way through UWI’s iron curtain defence after 25 minutes, and  Kemoy Whyte converted the extra two points. Whyte also scored a drop kick as the Pelicans found themselves trailing 7-18 at half time.

Above-Hubert UWI’s Thomas on his way to 1 of his 3 trys.

Utech came out with blazing guns in the second half, finally breaking down UWI’s stubborn defence. They battered defenders by running straight lines and after only 5 minutes were rewarded when Whyte broke through tired hands and went airborne for a fantastic try and then converted the extras. Flying winger Manning Marsh then broke free on the Wing and raced in untouched as the Pelican rivival seemed to go into full gear. At this point UWI held a precarious 17-16 lead.

Above-Utech’s Kemoy Whyte goes airbourne for a try.


UWI soughtt to steady a shaking ship by turning to their behemoth prop Ato Carrington whose massive frame time and time again smashed into helpless defenders. It became a common site to see defenders hanging on to the giant’s foot as he bustled his way up field. The strategy paid dividends as the Utech players grew visible tired. Ato threw off-loads all over the park and it wasn’t long before skipper and centre Andrew Smith sliced through tired hands and put UWI further ahead. Lawrence then put the boys in red further again when he craved his way in for a good solo effort on 65 minutes. In the final ten minutes, the visitors scored two more trys through substitutes Kanhai Lisle and Alrick Brown to kill off Utech’s hope. The relatively large crowd briefly lingered around mingling with the gladiators and congratulating all on a fine match.


Match Details

Thursday Feb 25, 2010, 400 pm

Venue: University of Technology

Half Time: UWI 18-UTECH 7



UWI Pelicans (38)


Tries: Hubert Thomas (3), Santino Larence, Andrew Smith, Kanhai Lisle, Alrick Brown


Conversion Hubert Thomas (3), Andrew Smith (2)



UTECH Knights (17)


Tries: Kemoy Whyte, Marvin Thompson, Manning Marsh


Conversion: Kemoy Whyte (2), Drop Goal: KemoyWhyte

Romeo Monteith
JRLA Development Officer

Tel: 1-876-846-5382

Email: romeocbar@yahoo.com

Website: www.jamaicarugbyleague.com