Poland’s First Rugby League Club Officially Established

Yesterday Poland’s First Rugby League Club was finally officially registered by the Mayor and Council in Łódż. The club is officially known as Łódzki Klub Rugby XIII or in English Lodz Rugby League Football Club.

Their short name will be the, Lodz Magpies. The magpie is a very common bird there and seemed like an obvious choice. Within the month the club should get some Rugby League kits I have been able to obtain and also some other gear like balls. We are now in discussions with the RLEF on the requirements for Polish Rugby League as an entity and we hope that by the end of the year we’ll have the National Federation up and running. I will be in Łódż in a couple weeks to meet the new team and Łukasz and talk about strategies and what more we need to do.

We are now searching for our first opponent. The Club has had a training ground for a while now, Its a synthetic turf ground and occasionally they go to a local park to mix it up. Lukasz tells me that the boys are ready to have a first game and a taste of the what Rugby League has to offer. So if anyone feels like a game out in Poland then you can contact me (my email is below) or Łukasz Łucka on lukaszlucka@gmail.com, or if you have suggestion of some decent opponents. So we are not looking at a national side yet but maybe an amateur club side who is looking at an end of season trip and willing to play a game or two?

Hurricane Irene Forces Changes

Yesterday, it turns out I have literally driven into the eye of the storm here in the USA … no nothing to do with the split but Hurricane Irene! While I was driving over I started to get calls and texts from people involved in the USARL and AMNRL informing me of time changes because of the oncoming storm. So todays matches have now been shifted to:

Colonial Cup, USA vs Canada: 1:00 pm, Charles Martin Memorial Stadium.

USA Rugby League Grand Final, Philadelphia Fight v New Haven Warriors: 2:00 pm, A. A. Garthwaite Stadium.

Its cloudy already today, but no wind or rain… yet. I will be going to both matches. I will see at least the first half of the Colonial Cup game and then will head over to the USARL game to see the second half there. I will do my best to get a good rounded report an opinion on the two matches.

Challeneg Cup Final at Wembley

Of course don’t forget that the oldest and greatest Rugby League game is played today. The Challenege Cup Final at Wembley is being fought out  between the Wigan Warriors and Leeds Rhinos. I have had the absolute privilege and pleasure of seeing this game live in 2008 and its the most memorable Rugby League experience I have ever had. Today’s game should be a cracker and I am going for my ESL team, Leeds to win by 8 points, 26-18.

You can listen to BBC Radio coverage of the match here.

21 Responses to “Poland’s First Rugby League Club Officially Established”

1. Robbo says:

Great to see RL in Poland, are they far from another Polish team starting up to have some competition?

No, there are no other teams starting at the moment, things in Poland work vers slowly unfortunately. This is something I will be discussing with Lukasz and Jovan at the RLEF in the next couple of weeks.

Great stuff Daniel and we thank you and your salt of the earth voluteers in Poland for all the hard work to get this thing off the ground.It ain’t easy and we appreciate your efforts as you are very much the driving influence behind all of this.
    This is a huge achievement in our Game.Another Country on board.
    The growth of any game is measured in the numbers that play it!

Thanks Chris, But I am not sure I would say “Poland” is there quite yet. Yes we have a club, but we are still to set up a national federation, something we are working towards, its just things in Poland take a long time to do sometimes. But it’s a great start for us.

Better than nothin and I know how hard it is to get things up and running.We are only trying to give you people a bit of moral support cas a lot of people in RL redicule this sort of thing and hope it fails and say”we told you so”.They don’t want to see the game progress at all and are only interested in their own small patch.
    The Big Fish in the small pond!

Good luck with everything in Poland Druzik. Went there few weeks ago and a beautiful country! Rugby League could be just perfect for the Poles because a lot of Polish people are very big!

5. StormGal says:

This is great news for me as my heritage is Polish. I have grown to love rugby league in Australia and I want to wish you a lot of luck.
    Dobranoc (lol)

Look at support you getting Daniel and what reaction are you getting from Polish Rugby Union??

Not sure on Polish Union, Lukasz hasn’t mentioned anything and till I get there can’t gauge it for myself. But since we are not targeting any Union Players I think there is no conflict. I am hoping we will be able to work together in the Future. they have the grounds which we will need to use at some point. the Union club in Lodz is one of the richest and most successful in Poland and have a decent stadium.

Interesting!

Send the GB Pioneers to Poland?

9. pngleaguefan says:

hey, druzik! i love your work man! keep up the good work!

• Chris Sanders says:

He will hit a goldmine there PNG and the Student Game is the fastest way to spread Rugby League into new horizons.Now Daniel can work in with a great administrator in the shape of Dave Oxley who’s the Chair of the Student Rugby league and Daniel should also meet up with Harry Edgar in Whitehaven,a true Rugby League pioneer.
      Poland is perfectly placed to spread the Game north,east,west and south.

10. Chris says:

Hi I was contacted last year about potentialy trialing and playing for the poland rugby league team, I’m not sure if this is the best to g about ti but I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for some trials or anything. Thanks

11. frank says:

my name is frank and i am wondering if i could get polish trials for rugby even though i live in England and do english rugby trials