AMNRL press release – USA v Ireland in the Donnybrook Cup

From Michael Cianfrone: mcianfrone@stargroup1.com

International rugby match wraps-up the St. Patrick’s festivities March 19th in Philadelphia

Philadelphia, PA (March 12, 2011) – The American National Rugby League (AMNRL), the premiere rugby league in the U.S., will host an international match between the USA Tomahawks and the Ireland Wolfhounds on Saturday, March 19th in a battle for the Donnybrook Cup. The match will be the first between the two teams since 2004 when the Tomahawks defeated the Wolfhounds 41-10.

“This international match will feature some of the game’s elite players and will give fans here in the U.S. some great rugby league action,” said David Niu, President & Founder of the AMNRL. “It is also a great way to wrap-up the St. Patrick’s Day celebration with pre and post game festivities perfect for families and rugby-diehards alike.”

The Tomahawks – the U.S. National team which is currently ranked 15th in the world – consists of the best players in the AMNRL and will be a tremendous preview of the action fans will see in the league’s upcoming season that begins in June. The Wolfhounds are currently ranked 7th in the world and the teams have squared-off six times previously with the Tomahawks holding the 4-2 edge. “The Donnybrook Cup match will mark the start of a landmark year for rugby league fans in the U.S.,” continued Niu. “In addition to the Donnybrook Cup and the AMNRL season, fans can also look forward to a home-and-home with Canada in September and a Rugby League World Cup qualifying tournament in October.”

The match will take place at Charles Martin Memorial Stadium on Cottman Avenue. Gates will open at 2:30 pm with the match kicking-off at 4:00 pm. Tickets can be purchased for $5 in advance online through TicketBud.com or at the gate on game day for $7. Tickets for college students with ID are only $3 and children under 18 are admitted free. The event will also feature a reunion of USA Rugby League alumni with players from the past 16 years confirmed to participate in the festivities.

“USA versus Ireland promises to be a huge Rugby League event with a storied history and with the rivalry set to be renewed after a few years off, I’m sure we’ll see an emotional battle,” said [Insert Name], coach of the Tomahawks.

For additional information, please visit www.donnybrookcup.com

clip_image004

About American National Rugby League

The American National Rugby League (AMNRL) is the governing body for the development of the sport of Rugby League in the Untied States, as sanctioned by the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF).  In existence since 1998, the AMNRL is the major Rugby League competition in the United States.

www.AMNRL.com www.WeAreRugby.com

14 Responses to “AMNRL press release – USA v Ireland in the Donnybrook Cup”

Of course they are playing the Ireland A team we must remember, though they are doing a good job promoting it regardless!

Now Druzik, when in Philadelphia around St Patricks day and with plenty of Irishmen…i expect a little more reporting then just Rugby League and the match (which is very important don’t get me wrong). But i wanna hear how you drunk a good Irish Beer and how Beer, Irishmen and of course International Rugby League!!! made it your most favorite St Patrick’s day EVER!!!

Well considering this is a RL site, I will be pretty much only promoting the game and RL related activities 😉

However this week is a big business trip for me anyway, I will be heading to Pittsburgh and Albany, NY, till Thursday with my job, so it will be only the Friday and Saturday I will be in Phily.

For someone who refuses to even acknowlege the USARL I see David Niu likes to continually promote the AMNRL as “the major Rugby League competition in the United States”. If, in David Niu’s eyes, there IS no competition then why harp on about it?

I can understand where he is coming from… but I can see what you mean.

• Interested Observer says:

You are right dp. Neither domestic comp has started for 2011 so how can you compare both and say you are the major one? The USARL look like having more teams and more games, have released their schedule, have a new website and seem to be working very hard at having a great inaugural season. I hope the AMNRL do the same type of thing and have a great season in 2011 as well. Hopefully after the 19th they can focus on their domestic comp and get info out to everyone that is keen to hear more.

I don’t know the USA Coach they mentioned at the end of the article called, ‘Insert Name’. Anyone know him?

I did know Niuy was the coach, just thought it was unprofessional that the press release wasn’t proof read or the error picked up before it was released.

Thanks druzik, I knew that, I think maybe my joke wasn’t so funny.

So what if he refuses to acknowledge the USARL.Here I refuse to acknowlege the … on the Auckland Rugby League Board of Control.
    Life goes on.